Friday 15 March 2013

The Follow Up


Our first appointment with the IF was on December 11, 2012 it was then that he told us about my husband’s poor count and sent us both for testing.  We then scheduled a follow up appointment for Feb 26, 2013 to discuss the results from all of our tests and to follow up on the surgery DH (dear husband) was supposed to have. In this 3 month period I had and HSG which showed no blockages and I had heard absolute horror stories about how much pain this could cause but I honestly didn’t feel a thing! (Let’s hope childbirth is the same… haha). I also had an SIS – Saline Infusion Sonogram, this test was to prep me for IVF as well as some standard blood work. 

Both my DH and I attended the follow up appointment, we learned that both of our hormone tests came back normal and that I had a total of 9 eggs on my left and 16 on my right and my lining and uterus looked great. – FINALLY GOOD NEWS! Oh but wait the bad news is coming…

The doctor thought it was odd that the urologist hadn’t called us yet as the letter had been sent in almost 3 months prior so he told me that they were following up on that. I then asked him how long after surgery would we be able to get started on things? To which he replied, ‘6 months’ – I says PARDON?!?!?!?!? 6 months after surgery? 
Wow – so I do a little quick math in my head: probably a couple months until we get the consult appointment and then another couple before the surgery, we're looking at a minimum of a year before we can even think about getting pregnant…..and the tears started.  I would be almost 33 at that point and that’s if it worked on the first try.
Once the water works started I asked if it was possible to hold off on the surgery and just go ahead with IVF? His comments weren’t exactly what I wanted to hear. He’s a very funny man and was trying to lighten up my mood and told me that if I wanted to pay his mortgage off quicker we could go ahead with the surgery.  This statement was comforting and completely disheartening; comforting knowing that he’s not just trying to make money and market IVF but on the other side I couldn’t imagine having to wait ANOTHER YEAR to move forward.  Needless to say we had some lengthy discussions and he told us that the chances would be better if we had the surgery but that it could still work with IVF and ICSI. I just looked at my DH and let him make the decision – he knew what I wanted but this process is hard enough as it is and the last thing I wanted to do was force him into something. Being the amazing man that he is told the doc that we wanted to move forward and that waiting just wasn’t an option for us. 

My next concern was the timeline to get IVF started but to my surprise there was no wait.  He told me to call on cycle day 1 and we would get the ball rolling  - which turned out to be only 3 days later.

I left the office feeling like a giant weight had been lifted; I was so excited that we had a PLAN. And ironically enough later that day the urologist called to book his consult (May 13) which made me even happier about my decision to move forward as May was months away (and that was only for the consult) and if everything went perfect I would already be pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment